Any Database Consists of two files:
Primary Files. (Extension is .mdf)
Secondary Files. (Extension is .ndf)
- Log Files (Extension is .ldf) – It doesn’t come under file group.
- Every Database can have only one Primary File and many Secondary Files.
- Primary file is a starting point of Database to other files in the database.
- There is only one Primary File for a Database.
- By defalit files are created in Primary file.
- Maximum of 32,766 files can be created in Secondary files.
- Maximum of 256 file groups can be created in Database.
- There is no file group concept for Log files.